26 February, 2010@7:02 am
Jay Electronica spoke to MTV on the future of his music, the release of his upcoming album, and future projects he is working on….
“It’s still Act II. Act III, the official album, which ‘Exhibit A’ and ‘Exhibit C’ are a part of [as well as] ‘Dear Moleskin,’ ” Jay said in Europe earlier this week. “Me and Mos [Def] have a project that we’re doing, me and Guilty Simpson have a project that we’re doing. I would like to do a project with Lupe — [Fiasco] we’re going to do a project at some point. Me and Nas have a project that we’re doing. I’m just trying. I’m in the process of working and connecting. I don’t really feel like a song or an album is the end-all, be-all to what we’re doing,” he told the network.
“You can expect my album this year….,” of which he told the network that Just Blaze would produce 60% of….”You can expect multiple projects this year. We’re going to do a lot this year,” he added.
Jay also touched upon the hot button topic of lyricists vs. non-lyricists, explaining that he understands the appeal of artists that put lyrics second to beats or hooks.
“The lyricism in my music — I come from a different era,” he explained. “I was born in ’76. I was raised in the ’80s. I’m an ’80s baby. LL Cool J was the first person that inspired me to rhyme. I have a lot of bragging in my rhymes. LL was my first enlightenment. If you would have asked me this two years ago, I would have said lyricism was lacking. Like somebody would say Soulja Boy … you would say he’s not a lyricist, right? If you took a poll and said, ‘Is Soulja Boy a lyricist?’ People would say no, right? But it’s not the words, it’s energy of what he does that’s the lyrics. It’s not the lyrics — the energy of it is the connector. The energy of it is greater than the words of it. In a sense, lyrics has been lacking in the contest of grammar and vocabulary, but the spirit and energy of it is never gone — or else the complete genre of hip-hop is gone.” [Source: MTV]
Leave a Reply
- Raekwon Sets A Release Date For “F.I.L.A.” Album
- BUSH: A Snoop Odyssey Produced By Pharrell Williams [Preview]
- Drake – “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late” Surprise Album on iTunes Now
- Action Bronson “Mr. Wonderful” Cover Art and Tracklist
- Juicy J “Blue Dream & Lean 2″ Mixtape Cover Art & Release Date Revealed
- MF Grimm “MF Love Songs” Cover Art + Tracklist
- Lord Hakim – “Brass Knucklez” (feat. Vast Aire & Phizz Ed)
- IAMSU! – “Hella Good” (feat. Tyga)
- DJ Kay Slay – “I Declare War” (feat. Styles P, Sheek Louch, Vado, Raekwon, & Rell)
- Maverick Sabre – “We Don’t Wanna Be” (feat. Joey Bada$$)
- Cannibal Ox – “Blade: Art of Ox” (feat. Artifacts & U-God; prod. Black Milk)
- Asher Roth – “Blow Your Head” (prod. Nottz)