(Above: Pharrell & HHS Staff @ HipHopSite retail store in 2006.)
As HHS re-enters the scene, we’re keeping a close watch on what’s going on in this industry, and the new breed of rap websites. All due respect to those who have been doing it the last few years, holding it down while we closed up shop, tried to battle Itunes, and ultimately slid back into the content groove that we’ve been doing since day one. Any “beefs” that have been manifested here in the last day or so are with one individual, not with anyone else in the scene. Nah Right, Rap Radar, DJ Booth, DX, Team Supreme, I’m Flashy, etc, you guys look great. Meka, your editorials at XXL are a great read. Props are due to all.
Daily “blog” updates keep the HHS frontpage looking fresh, but we haven’t turned our backs on the editorial content aspect of the site, as we have 14 years of interviews and album reviews archived conducted by the HHS staff, and will continue to post them every week as we move on. That makes for around 1600+ articles that are more than just a video or mixtape links with a sentence or two attached. So yeah, if Big Brother ever decides it’s time to shut down the blog scene, we’ll be okay.
That being said, we do feel that the blog scene thrives on fresh content, but is hurt by wack shit. While up to this point we have let some of these slide, so from this point on, here is what we will not post on HipHopSite.Com:
1. Video Trailers: Wack. Show us the video, not a video of the video. We’ll wait.
2. Tracks From Our Friends: Nepotism is probably the worst problem in hip-hop. It’s been an issue here since day one of HHS, of aspiring artists asking us to put them on, flooding us with emails everyday. While we did give Declaime some early props in ’96, part of it had to do with the fact that Madlib produced his demo tape. That got our attention. Not to say we won’t put new artists on, but 99.9 percent of these rappers ain’t shit, and most of these rappers suck dick. If something good comes along, we’ll let you know.
3. Behind The Scenes @ Video Shoots: Videos of rappers rapping in front of a green screen? No thanks. If something classic, hilarious, or semi-news worthy happens on set, we’ll post. Otherwise, no.
4. Unfinished Music: Granted, sometimes we may do this by accident – it’s going to happen. But nothing has killed this industry more than the irresponsible leaking of tracks and albums by over-excited fans. Artists don’t like when people do this. We like artists. The end.
5. Tagged To Death Tracks: We will make exceptions to this rule from time to time, if it’s from a really big artist (Dr. Dre, etc), or if one of our favorites drops something and we feel you guys just have to hear it. Othewise, DJ Yellalot screaming over a new Hot-Rapper-Of-The-Moment single can wait. Eternally.
6. Any 14 part Video Series: Sorry record label, you’re not going to trick us into posting about your artist every day for two weeks. This is confusing to the viewers and makes today’s frontpage look like yesterday’s frontpage. If something really interesting comes along, we’ll make an exception, and of course, we’ll be happy to post a full-length video at the end.
That’s about it. Just so there’s no misconstruing of our words here, this is not a dis to any other site that posts this type of content, everybody do your thing how you do it. But this is how we do it.
Leave a Reply
- Raekwon Sets A Release Date For “F.I.L.A.” Album
- BUSH: A Snoop Odyssey Produced By Pharrell Williams [Preview]
- Drake – “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late” Surprise Album on iTunes Now
- Action Bronson “Mr. Wonderful” Cover Art and Tracklist
- Juicy J “Blue Dream & Lean 2″ Mixtape Cover Art & Release Date Revealed
- MF Grimm “MF Love Songs” Cover Art + Tracklist
- Lord Hakim – “Brass Knucklez” (feat. Vast Aire & Phizz Ed)
- IAMSU! – “Hella Good” (feat. Tyga)
- DJ Kay Slay – “I Declare War” (feat. Styles P, Sheek Louch, Vado, Raekwon, & Rell)
- Maverick Sabre – “We Don’t Wanna Be” (feat. Joey Bada$$)
- Cannibal Ox – “Blade: Art of Ox” (feat. Artifacts & U-God; prod. Black Milk)
- Asher Roth – “Blow Your Head” (prod. Nottz)