18 May, 2010@11:30 pm
We used to see this happen every year, back when we ran indie rap retail – a bunch of labels all pick the same day for a bunch of quality releases, and none of them care to change it, forcing the consumer to start making choices, rather than multiple purchases. Today is a packed street date with new releases from Nas & Damian Marley, Reflection Eternal, Janelle Monae, Guilty Simpson, Roc Marciano, and Necro all hitting with new albums. Here we’re going to break down the various special offers and extended editions that are out there, and where you can pick them up.
Nas & Damian Marley – Distant Relatives – ITunes is the only company offering bonus tracks for the Jones / Marley collabo, which gets you the entire digital album for $9.99, plus one exclusive bonus track, “Ancient People”. Amazon counters this with the album for $7.99, without the bonus track, plus a special offer to get a $4.00 credit towards their Video On Demand service. If you’re into that kind of thing. Verdict: Itunes.
Talib Kweli & Hi-Tek (Reflection Eternal) – Revolutions Per Minute - Itunes snatches up some extra content for Reflection Eternal’s long-awaited reunion LP, including three bonus videos: “Strangers” (feat. Bun B), “Back Again”, and “In This World”. However the price of $14.99 is a little steep. You can purchase the album without the videos at Itunes for $11.99, but Amazon’s got them beat there with the a la cart digital album for $9.99. That $4.00 V.O.D. credit applies here too. Verdict: Itunes.
Janelle Monae – The Archandroid - Janelle had some pretty sweet pre-order offers up over the last month, but those are over with now. Still, you can cop the “Deluxe Digital Album” directly from her webstore, which includes two exclusive remixes of “Tightrope” by Mouch & Big and Organized Noize (!), plus the video as well. Verdict: JMonae.com
Roc Marciano – Marcberg – This buzzworthy release has caused some confusion as they released a Marcburg EP with virtually the same cover art a few weeks ago. Never mind that – this is the one you want. Itunes gets the drop on everyone, with instrumentals for the entire album included with purchase of the digital LP, all for $9.99. Steve Jobs is probably freestyling in the mirror over these beats right now. Verdict: Itunes.
Guilty Simpson + Madlib – O.J. Simpson - Stones Throw is already ahead of the game on this one, as they have been offering the album for sale for a few weeks now, but with today’s official street date, they now serve up the vinyl and CD. Purchasing either at $14.99 and $13.99 respectively will net you the exclusive Stones Throw Fan Club 45 of “Friends Only”. Our friends at UGHH are also offering the 45 as well. Verdict: Stones Throw
Leave a Reply
- Raekwon Sets A Release Date For “F.I.L.A.” Album
- BUSH: A Snoop Odyssey Produced By Pharrell Williams [Preview]
- Drake – “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late” Surprise Album on iTunes Now
- Action Bronson “Mr. Wonderful” Cover Art and Tracklist
- Juicy J “Blue Dream & Lean 2″ Mixtape Cover Art & Release Date Revealed
- MF Grimm “MF Love Songs” Cover Art + Tracklist
- Lord Hakim – “Brass Knucklez” (feat. Vast Aire & Phizz Ed)
- IAMSU! – “Hella Good” (feat. Tyga)
- DJ Kay Slay – “I Declare War” (feat. Styles P, Sheek Louch, Vado, Raekwon, & Rell)
- Maverick Sabre – “We Don’t Wanna Be” (feat. Joey Bada$$)
- Cannibal Ox – “Blade: Art of Ox” (feat. Artifacts & U-God; prod. Black Milk)
- Asher Roth – “Blow Your Head” (prod. Nottz)