27 May, 2010@8:15 pm
Underground mastermind MC Frank Nitt of Frank-n-Dank, has teamed up with L.A. rap dons for a six-track EP that transcends styles, proving that Frank Nitt holds the verbal dexterity to rock over any beat. The EP is being released by the legendary label, Delicious Vinyl, known for their classic releases from The Pharcyde, Masta Ace, Tone Loc, and many more. Frank Nitt’s Jewels in my Backpack hits virtual shelves this week.
The beauty of Jewels is in the organic chemistry of Terrace Martin and Frank Nitt’s fusion of sound and style. A highly accomplished producer, Martin has arranged tracks for such artists as Snoop, Talib Kweli, and Warren G to name a few. His highly developed musical technique provided a bright array of beats on which Nitt unwound his signature gritty prose. The EP is a blend of the artists’ two worlds. “He’s [Martin] much more glossy than where I come from. His production has a shinier sound, which are the jewels. And here I am as this underground artist, a backpack MC who can rock over these jewels” explains Nitt. The end result is a powerful hip-hop hybrid that seamlessly blends regional aesthetics of both their hometowns.
Having released four albums as the Detroit-based duo Frank-n-Dank with Dankery Harv, Frank Nitt is no stranger to the rap game. His previous works boast the production mastery of hip-hop legend J. Dilla, and command attention and respect across the globe. Breaching into the realm as a solo-artist, Nitt now has full control of his musical endeavors. “It’s all on me. Being solo raises the stakes but I’m confident in the music I make,” professes Nitt. The EP has guest appearances by Kurupt and DJ Quik, beefing up the credentials to this classic-in-the-making.
Frank Nitt’s Jewels In My Backpack EP boasts 6 songs that cover topics from partying n’ bullshit to girls to love to adjusting to the LA party scene and more. “Psychedelic Freaky Girls” is a technicolor steamer trunk of a track, bursting with Terrace Martin’s musicality and the randy croon of J. Black. The single, “Go Girl,” featuring The Problem pays homage to the ladies and delivers a deep riding bass that drives Frank’s true-to-life lyrics through the speakers.
Frank Nitt’s contribution to the future of hip-hop is available starting today on iTunes and Amazon while the vinyl version will be availbale soon.
Check out the video for “Go Girl” feat. The Problem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHrwGavCUz8
Leave a Reply
- Raekwon Sets A Release Date For “F.I.L.A.” Album
- BUSH: A Snoop Odyssey Produced By Pharrell Williams [Preview]
- Drake – “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late” Surprise Album on iTunes Now
- Action Bronson “Mr. Wonderful” Cover Art and Tracklist
- Juicy J “Blue Dream & Lean 2″ Mixtape Cover Art & Release Date Revealed
- MF Grimm “MF Love Songs” Cover Art + Tracklist
- Lord Hakim – “Brass Knucklez” (feat. Vast Aire & Phizz Ed)
- IAMSU! – “Hella Good” (feat. Tyga)
- DJ Kay Slay – “I Declare War” (feat. Styles P, Sheek Louch, Vado, Raekwon, & Rell)
- Maverick Sabre – “We Don’t Wanna Be” (feat. Joey Bada$$)
- Cannibal Ox – “Blade: Art of Ox” (feat. Artifacts & U-God; prod. Black Milk)
- Asher Roth – “Blow Your Head” (prod. Nottz)