Okay. The “swag” movement needs to die. Now. This terrible term has been used in hip-hop for years now and at this point needs to be straight murked. Frankly, M.I.A. needs to take the blame for this.
Now, you may be asking yourself: “Self? Why is this dude bringing this up now? Doesn’t he know that swag is the 5th element of hip-hop?” Well, for those of you asking yourselves that question 1.) Stop talking to yourselves and 2.) You obviously haven’t heard the newest piece of shit single track from Soulja Boy Tell ‘Em; the terrible “Pretty Boy Swag”. Now, frankly we’re not shocked that the song is awful. That’s a given. We’re more surprised that people are still using “swag” in songs. Didn’t that shit end already? Apparently not.
Swag has been everywhere in hip-hop during the last few years.We’ve had “Swagga Like Us”, “My Swag”, “Turn My Swag On”, “Playboy Swag” and of course the classic “Swag ‘N’ Surf”. Hip-hop icon (?) Yung Joc just started his own label in Swagg Team Entertainment (the extra g is for gangsta). But “swag”/”swagger” really jumped the shark when the mainstream caught on. What’s lamer than hearing a baseball coach talking about his team “needing to get their swagger back” or a newspaper talking about a hockey team finding their swag. Right. Nothing.
So hip- hop fans out there, I implore you, stop the swag movement now. Before we get more of this:
You’ve been warned.
Leave a Reply
- Raekwon Sets A Release Date For “F.I.L.A.” Album
- BUSH: A Snoop Odyssey Produced By Pharrell Williams [Preview]
- Drake – “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late” Surprise Album on iTunes Now
- Action Bronson “Mr. Wonderful” Cover Art and Tracklist
- Juicy J “Blue Dream & Lean 2″ Mixtape Cover Art & Release Date Revealed
- MF Grimm “MF Love Songs” Cover Art + Tracklist
- Lord Hakim – “Brass Knucklez” (feat. Vast Aire & Phizz Ed)
- IAMSU! – “Hella Good” (feat. Tyga)
- DJ Kay Slay – “I Declare War” (feat. Styles P, Sheek Louch, Vado, Raekwon, & Rell)
- Maverick Sabre – “We Don’t Wanna Be” (feat. Joey Bada$$)
- Cannibal Ox – “Blade: Art of Ox” (feat. Artifacts & U-God; prod. Black Milk)
- Asher Roth – “Blow Your Head” (prod. Nottz)