As I open the product, my body starts to shake in anticipation. The latest drug to hit the street, pure and uncut, a newfound experience with Mobb Deep’s Black Cocaine. Once I begin to take it in, my dopamine reactors start to surge. A reggae chant on “Dead Man Shoes” is a unique approach for Havoc and Prodigy. Unfortunately, the song never draws me in and I feel like I may have purchased some black baking soda.
I move onto the title track, trying to get my fix. The beat is a little catchier, some classic pianos in the background and a continual chant throughout the chorus. Now my fix is starting to be met. The horns from “Conquer” are an uplifting approach, and fit perfectly with the tone of the song. My high has me picturing a fighter entering the ring to this song, as it is reminiscent of “Rocky’s” theme music.
This package comes with a bonus, an appearance by Nas on “Get It Forever.” Maybe Mobb Deep knew that this appearance would be worth the price the dealer was charging. His flow is still one of the best in the game, a memory that will be embedded in my mind years after Black Cocaine is replaced by a new designer drug.
“Last Days” bangs harder than anything else on this release; what a way to end on a high. A rolling beat, vintage Alchemist. No wait, it’s by Freak Beats? Either way, the EP ends just as they have me hooked. Although the early introduction to Black Cocaine wasn’t what I would have anticipated, the latter half of the 5 song experience was worth the price tag.
One can only hope they release more like the latter half of this EP ASAP. Because like an addict, we will keep coming back for more, next time they put new product on the street.
Leave a Reply
- Future – “Honest” Cover Artwork Revealed
- Alchemist Talks Lack Of Eminem Production, Wanting To Do Full LP’s With MF Doom, Rakim, & JAY Z
- Mobb Deep – “The Infamous Mobb Deep” (Tracklist)
- Stones Throw’s “Our Vinyl Weighs A Ton” Is Due On DVD/Digital April 29th
- Smoke DZA – “Dream.ZONE.Achieve” Cover Artwork & Tracklist Revealed
- Blueprint Announces New Album, “Respect the Architect”, Due April 22nd
- Pharrell - "G I R L" - @@@ (Review)
Commented on by lp
- Rick Ross - "Mastermind" - @@@@ (Review)
Commented on by bobby2000
- Schoolboy Q - "Oxymoron" - @@@@ (Review)
Commented on by monch
- Juvenile - "Mardi Gras" (Mixtape)
Commented on by monch
- Rick Ross Talks Corrections Officer Past
Commented on by Tom
- Mobb Deep – "The Infamous Mobb Deep" (Tracklist)
Commented on by Battlehound