1 February, 2012@8:50 pm
First they brought you ‘The Goon Time Mixtape’ blasting from a late-night house party in a Parisian suburb. Then we saw our heroes getting endless grief from Deen’s overbearing mother in the Mrs. Whitter skit. That was all just a taste of things to come from De La Soul’s Plug 1 & Plug 2 present ‘First Serve’; a dynamic hip-hop group, an album, a concept, the soundtrack to a movie that has yet to be made and a fable for our times.
‘First Serve’ is many things, but at its heart it is the story of two young boys from Queens, New York with big dreams and larger rhymes. Two friends, Deen Whitter (aka Plug 2 / Dave) and Jacob ‘Pop Life’ Barrow (aka Plug 1/ Pos), friends from seventh grade, are by their own admission, “different, but the differences seem to complement everything we do.” Their name ‘First Serve’ comes from their motto, “First come, First Serve, get what you deserve.”
After years of laying down demos and mixtapes on the hustle in the hip-hop game, we get the next instalment from their world in the form of the ‘We Made It’ skit. All the hard work has finally paid off – Jacob and Deen have hit the big time signing to Goon Time Records to become the next new thing to hit the airwaves.
Due to hit the streets worldwide on April 2nd, through Duck Down Music in North America & Pias in all other territories, the ‘First Serve’ album tells the story of two dreamers in a basement struggling to start their musical career, the battles they face, through to the point that they eventually release their debut single, ‘make it big’ and their hard work and persistence finally pays off. As we know that is rarely where the story ends and the story of ‘First Serve’ is no different. Taking place in an animated world that could have been imagined by Hawley Pratt on Magic Mushrooms, the high spirited and often hilarious journey is pure old school hip-hop; skits, disco, beats, funk, quips, burns and hustlin’ all included. Ain’t nothing gonna stop us now…
Leave a Reply
- Here Is Your First Look At The “NehruvianDOOM” Album Art
- Public Enemy Releases BitTorrent Sourced Remix EP
- Here Is Your First Taste Of Killer Mike & El-P’s “Run The Jewels 2″.
- Wu-Tang Fans Have Gone To Kickstarter In Order To Crowdfund “Once Upon A Time In Shaolin”
- Raekwon “On Strike” From Wu-Tang Clan, Tells All In Rolling Stone Interview
- Q-Tip Instagrams A Pic Of Him & Dr. Dre With #Detox Hashtag
- The Onion: There Are People In World Who Are Concerned About Current State Of Hip-Hop
Commented on by Dayz
- Swollen Members - "Brand New Day"
Commented on by Swollen Members Brand New Day Features Battleaxe Warriors
- Here Is Your First Taste Of Killer Mike & El-P's "Run The Jewels 2".
Commented on by khordkutta
- Watch Juicy J's Colt 45 Ad
Commented on by khordkutta
- Read Our Original 1999 Review Of MF Doom's "Operation: Doomsday"
Commented on by da commanda
- MC Ren - "Rebel Music" (Prod. E-A-Ski)
Commented on by yungplex