The cold and calculated MC, Has-Lo, has quietly smoldered on his acclaimed debut, In Case I Don’t Make It. Teetering between street and backpack, Has-Lo raps with an analytical mind and a streetwise tongue. Earlier today, Has-Lo debuted two songs at Passion of the Weiss and released his first vinyl 45.
“Stained Glass” finds Has spitting over powerful horns courtesy of Apollo Brown. Brown is a master of restraint, allowing the beat to come into it’s own with minimal meddling, and Has-Lo responds with a calculated and detailed set of verses, no bar is by accident. With a subtle confidence, the East Coast spitter intricately compares his style to the loading of a bullet in a burner’s chamber. On the B side, “Make A Bet”, Has-Lo is less confident and a bit more paranoid, as if he’s racing against the clock. Illmind’s driving beat culminates with a jarring synth arrangement at the chorus that emphasizes the feeling of pursuit: “put the hours on the clock, let your god count it down”.
Has-Lo spits with the vision of a veteran. His words are careful and deliberate; his flow is patient and steady. Proving that some still take the craft of writing dead serious, Has-Lo is a genuine lyricist.
Leave a Reply
- Raekwon Sets A Release Date For “F.I.L.A.” Album
- BUSH: A Snoop Odyssey Produced By Pharrell Williams [Preview]
- Drake – “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late” Surprise Album on iTunes Now
- Action Bronson “Mr. Wonderful” Cover Art and Tracklist
- Juicy J “Blue Dream & Lean 2″ Mixtape Cover Art & Release Date Revealed
- MF Grimm “MF Love Songs” Cover Art + Tracklist
- Lord Hakim – “Brass Knucklez” (feat. Vast Aire & Phizz Ed)
- IAMSU! – “Hella Good” (feat. Tyga)
- DJ Kay Slay – “I Declare War” (feat. Styles P, Sheek Louch, Vado, Raekwon, & Rell)
- Maverick Sabre – “We Don’t Wanna Be” (feat. Joey Bada$$)
- Cannibal Ox – “Blade: Art of Ox” (feat. Artifacts & U-God; prod. Black Milk)
- Asher Roth – “Blow Your Head” (prod. Nottz)