The aim of “Back To Skool” was to do a classic hip-hop mix, built around today’s generation of emcees. Virtually all of the tracks on this mix invoke the old school hip-hop feeling, yet everything here was recorded within the last year or so. Some are freestyles over classic beats, others full on remakes, while other tracks are new, but with an old school approach to the production. The end result is a mix of all new tracks, that somehow sounds like it’s over 20 years old.
The songs on this mix are inspired by Eric B. & Rakim, Run DMC, Nas, Public Enemy, EPMD, Kool G. Rap & DJ Polo, Pete Rock & CL Smooth, The Notorious B.I.G., LL Cool J, The Roots, Das Efx, Gang Starr, A Tribe Called Quest, Mobb Deep, Eminem, Compton’s Most Wanted, and The D.O.C.
The mix features new music, freestyles, and covers by Jon Connor, Fokis, Livin Proof, Sadat X, Beanie Sigel, State Property, Wu-Block, Slaughterhouse, Royal Flush, Mic Geronimo, Mr. Cheeks, Atmosphere, Raekwon, Camp Lo, Busta Rhymes, Gucci Mane, Diggy Simmons, J-Live, Twista, Wale, Truck North, Apathy, Redman, Game, Obie Trice, and O.C.
P.S. “Skool” is a verb, in this context.
Leave a Reply
- Raekwon Sets A Release Date For “F.I.L.A.” Album
- BUSH: A Snoop Odyssey Produced By Pharrell Williams [Preview]
- Drake – “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late” Surprise Album on iTunes Now
- Action Bronson “Mr. Wonderful” Cover Art and Tracklist
- Juicy J “Blue Dream & Lean 2″ Mixtape Cover Art & Release Date Revealed
- MF Grimm “MF Love Songs” Cover Art + Tracklist
- Lord Hakim – “Brass Knucklez” (feat. Vast Aire & Phizz Ed)
- IAMSU! – “Hella Good” (feat. Tyga)
- DJ Kay Slay – “I Declare War” (feat. Styles P, Sheek Louch, Vado, Raekwon, & Rell)
- Maverick Sabre – “We Don’t Wanna Be” (feat. Joey Bada$$)
- Cannibal Ox – “Blade: Art of Ox” (feat. Artifacts & U-God; prod. Black Milk)
- Asher Roth – “Blow Your Head” (prod. Nottz)