5 August, 2014@6:50 pm
Cult rap super villain MF Doom will team with buzzworthy 17 year old Rockland County, NY emcee, Bishop Nehru, for the NehruvianDOOM project. The project drops September 22nd on Lex Records, who also handled the last couple of projects for DOOM, such as Born Like This and the JJ Doom album. Here’s everything we know about it:
1. Despite The Two Artists’ Age Gap, The Duo Have Excellent Chemistry Together: It’s clear that Doom sees a bit of himself in Bishop Nehru, as he himself entered the game as KMD’s Zev Love X, at the peachfuzz bearing age of 17. Despite Doom’s age of 43, he recognizes Nehru’s authenticity. “He an old soul. He built for this. I can tell by his level of talent, his level of focus. MC’s are born. You can’t make an emcee out of someone that wasn’t born to do this,” Doom said in the Beyond The Mask mini-documentary about the album. Bishop, who was already a fan of Doom, feels the same. “The person who is mentoring you is someone you’ve been listening to for years and someone you’re a fan of… I’m a huge fan of Doom, and when I met him, it was just an instant vibe,” he said.
2. DOOM Is The Producer, Bishop Nehru Is The MC: As Bishop explained in an interview with The Village Voice, he is the primary emcee of the group, but Doom chimes in from time-to-time, as well. “Well it’s titled NehruvianDOOM. It’s DOOM producing the beats and I’m rapping over them, though he’s going to be on some of the songs too. We don’t have any outside features, it’s just me and him,” said Nehru.
3. The Cover Art Was Illustrated By “Adventure Time” Creator, GHOSTSHIMP. – And it just might be the best looking rap album cover of the year. See above.
4. It Started Off As A 7 Song EP, Then Turned Into A 9-Song Album: The tracklist is as follows.
3. Mean The Most
4. So Alone
5. Coming For You
6. Darkness (HBU)
8. Great Things
5. The Project Came About After Bishop Rapped Over Some Doom Beats On His Nehruvia Mixtape. Bishop was opening for Doom and Ghostface in London, and was suddenly approached by the Metal Faced rapper. “Doom comes walking up the steps, all nonchalant, like he’s not DOOM,” Bishop told DJ Vlad earlier this year. “He was just like, ‘Yo, dope music man. I appreciate the love and support, you wrecked those beats.’ I guess he heard the tracks I recorded for my first project, Nehruvia. I used a beat of his on there, two of them (“Elder Blossoms” & “Lemon Grass”). I guess he heard them and was like ‘Yo man, dope. I appreciate it. Tell your people to hit up my people.’”
Check out those tracks that led to the creation of this project below.
6. Aside from “Darkness”, It’s All Original Production: DOOM has often been criticized for using previously released beats from his Special Herbs instrumental album series for his vocal projects. While the first single revealed from the project, “Darkness”, uses a beat from the series, the rest is reportedly all previously unheard beats from MF. Check both “Darkness” and “OM” below. “OM” also features an appearance from Doom on the hook.
Watch for Bishop Nehru and MF Doom’s NehruvianDOOM, September 22nd on Lex Records.
Leave a Reply
- Raekwon Sets A Release Date For “F.I.L.A.” Album
- BUSH: A Snoop Odyssey Produced By Pharrell Williams [Preview]
- Drake – “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late” Surprise Album on iTunes Now
- Action Bronson “Mr. Wonderful” Cover Art and Tracklist
- Juicy J “Blue Dream & Lean 2″ Mixtape Cover Art & Release Date Revealed
- MF Grimm “MF Love Songs” Cover Art + Tracklist
- Lord Hakim – “Brass Knucklez” (feat. Vast Aire & Phizz Ed)
- IAMSU! – “Hella Good” (feat. Tyga)
- DJ Kay Slay – “I Declare War” (feat. Styles P, Sheek Louch, Vado, Raekwon, & Rell)
- Maverick Sabre – “We Don’t Wanna Be” (feat. Joey Bada$$)
- Cannibal Ox – “Blade: Art of Ox” (feat. Artifacts & U-God; prod. Black Milk)
- Asher Roth – “Blow Your Head” (prod. Nottz)