All Natural’s identity has always seemed a little undetermined; “50 Years” touched heads as the virtual underground equivalent to Pete Rock & CL Smooth’s “T.R.O.Y.” yet ever since then the group has never seen a return to the same fanfare or creative success as bottled in that one song. While the track may have pigeonholed them in some respects, Capital D and Tone B. Nimble have still remained diligent in the making of their music. A simplistic classy-ness seems to exude from the duo as they provide more blue-collarm work with their 2nd, and apparently last, full length, Second Nature.
Conceptually the two haven’t strayed far from the material of their debut, No Additives, No Preservatives, Cap D’s narrative-rhymes still mingle with braggadocio and consciousness while musically the two split duties with their Chicago counterparts The Molemen. Another similarity could be found in the overall unremarkability of their freshman release as a whole. Sure, “50 Years” and “It’s OK” demanded rewinds, this album also finds similar likeness in cuts like “Elements Of Style” and “Uncle Sam” (featuring Slug).
For an artist set on closing his rhyme-book forever (to further his religious enlightenment through Islam) Cap D. packs a punch teeming with potential. But when backed by far-from-flawless production and sometimes rushed delivery, the end product fails to represent what the group and more importantly, Capital D., are capable of. Second Nature has moments of glory, in the aforementioned songs, along with the sublime “Renaissance” (featuring Lone Catalysts) and brash “Mr. Sexy” but for this to be the end note for All Natural, those with high hopes might leave this listening experience slightly disappointed.
Leave a Reply
- Raekwon Sets A Release Date For “F.I.L.A.” Album
- BUSH: A Snoop Odyssey Produced By Pharrell Williams [Preview]
- Drake – “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late” Surprise Album on iTunes Now
- Action Bronson “Mr. Wonderful” Cover Art and Tracklist
- Juicy J “Blue Dream & Lean 2″ Mixtape Cover Art & Release Date Revealed
- MF Grimm “MF Love Songs” Cover Art + Tracklist
- Lord Hakim – “Brass Knucklez” (feat. Vast Aire & Phizz Ed)
- IAMSU! – “Hella Good” (feat. Tyga)
- DJ Kay Slay – “I Declare War” (feat. Styles P, Sheek Louch, Vado, Raekwon, & Rell)
- Maverick Sabre – “We Don’t Wanna Be” (feat. Joey Bada$$)
- Cannibal Ox – “Blade: Art of Ox” (feat. Artifacts & U-God; prod. Black Milk)
- Asher Roth – “Blow Your Head” (prod. Nottz)