8 July, 2009@1:29 pm
Well, despite all of the strange “Jay-Z’s a biter” accusations surrounding this album (more on that in a second), the seminal team-up of KRS-One and Buckshot, Survival Skills, should produce good results when it’s released September 15th on Duck Down Recordings. The album boasts a long list guest stars, including Mary J. Blige, Slug Of Atmosphere, K’NAAN, Talib Kweli, Immortal Technique, Melanie Fiona, Naledge of Kidz In The Hall, Sean Price, Geo of Blue Scholars, Smif N Wessun and Rock of Heltah Skeltah. Wow, Slug and Mary J. Blige on the same album? Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria! Producing the record are each Havoc of Mobb Deep, 9th Wonder, Black Milk, ILL MIND, Coptic, Moss, Nottz, Marco Polo, and Khrysis.
The album’s lead single, “Robot” (YouTube video dropped today, see below) disses the Autotune style that’s taken over hip-hop recently, but Kris and Buck have released a statement saying that they released the song six weeks before Jay-Z’s “Death Of Autotune”. “I don’t want people to get the averaged clichéd version and thinking that we’re dissing people,’” Buckshot clarifies. “What we’re calling out here is the biters, the people that feel like because this guy sold X amount of records doing this, that I’m going to turn around and do it as well,” he added.
Ok, that’s fair, but it gets a little weird after this.
Strangely, the press release goes on to suggest that Jay-Z has been on the jock of both Buck and KRS for years – YEARS, people – first using the same sample that Black Moon used on “Stay Real” for “PSA” – and, you guessed it, “Stay Real” was also released six weeks before Jay’s “Public Service Announcement”. It adds that, mysteriously, Jay titled his album “The Blueprint”, when KRS’s Boogie Down Productions did the same thing with the release of “Ghetto Music: The Blueprint of Hip-Hop”….wait for it….FOURTEEN YEARS EARLIER.
Is anyone else seeing the ultimate irony here, with “Robot’s” programmed keyboard production vs. “D.O.A.’s” sample based blues riff? – DJ Pizzo
- Raekwon Sets A Release Date For “F.I.L.A.” Album
- BUSH: A Snoop Odyssey Produced By Pharrell Williams [Preview]
- Drake – “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late” Surprise Album on iTunes Now
- Action Bronson “Mr. Wonderful” Cover Art and Tracklist
- Juicy J “Blue Dream & Lean 2″ Mixtape Cover Art & Release Date Revealed
- MF Grimm “MF Love Songs” Cover Art + Tracklist
- Lord Hakim – “Brass Knucklez” (feat. Vast Aire & Phizz Ed)
- IAMSU! – “Hella Good” (feat. Tyga)
- DJ Kay Slay – “I Declare War” (feat. Styles P, Sheek Louch, Vado, Raekwon, & Rell)
- Maverick Sabre – “We Don’t Wanna Be” (feat. Joey Bada$$)
- Cannibal Ox – “Blade: Art of Ox” (feat. Artifacts & U-God; prod. Black Milk)
- Asher Roth – “Blow Your Head” (prod. Nottz)