19 May, 2010@5:48 pm
Dark Night Of The Soul is an album by Danger Mouse and Mark Linkous aka Sparklehorse… joined by the following remarkable roll call of guests: Gruff Rhys, The Flaming Lips, Jason Lytle, Julian Casablancas, Black Francis, Iggy Pop, David Lynch, James Mercer, Nina Persson, Suzanne Vega and the late Vic Chesnutt.
Rumours of this mysterious collaborative project began to circulate in early 2009, however, whilst Dark Night Of The Soul successfully manifested itself as both a limited edition art book with enclosed blank CD-R and an audio-visual gallery installation, its music was never released officially.
Whilst this beautiful, haunting record being made widely and legitimately available is undoubtedly a cause for celebration, the news is shadowed by sadness following the recent passing of Mark Linkous, who released and performed under the Sparklehorse pseudonym. Dark Night Of The Soul will now stand as a de facto tribute to this well-loved, stunningly talented yet often-overlooked artist and has received the blessing of Mark’s family who have issued the following statement:
“Mark felt that it was an honor to be able to collaborate with so many of the artists on this record. His time and dedication to this project was immense and his hopes for its release are finally being realized. We are glad that people will now be able to hear these songs and know the beautiful gift that Mark shared with all of us through his music.”
Danger Mouse adds: “I told Mark that we’d worked things out with EMI back in January and he was very happy that the album was finally going to be released this year. Mark meant a great deal to a lot of people and I’m grateful to have made music with him and to be a part of his legacy.”
Dark Night Of The Soul is also dedicated to the memory of Vic Chesnutt.
In addition to featuring on two songs, David Lynch has created a series of original photographs for Dark Night Of The Soul adding a spectacular visual dimension that will be incorporated in to the artwork for this already unparalleled project.
Danger Mouse and Sparklehorse’s Dark Night Of The Soul will be released on 12th July in the UK and on 13th July in the US.
More information at www.dnots.com
Leave a Reply
- Raekwon Sets A Release Date For “F.I.L.A.” Album
- BUSH: A Snoop Odyssey Produced By Pharrell Williams [Preview]
- Drake – “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late” Surprise Album on iTunes Now
- Action Bronson “Mr. Wonderful” Cover Art and Tracklist
- Juicy J “Blue Dream & Lean 2″ Mixtape Cover Art & Release Date Revealed
- MF Grimm “MF Love Songs” Cover Art + Tracklist
- Lord Hakim – “Brass Knucklez” (feat. Vast Aire & Phizz Ed)
- IAMSU! – “Hella Good” (feat. Tyga)
- DJ Kay Slay – “I Declare War” (feat. Styles P, Sheek Louch, Vado, Raekwon, & Rell)
- Maverick Sabre – “We Don’t Wanna Be” (feat. Joey Bada$$)
- Cannibal Ox – “Blade: Art of Ox” (feat. Artifacts & U-God; prod. Black Milk)
- Asher Roth – “Blow Your Head” (prod. Nottz)