In a recent interview with XXL, Elzhi broke his silence on the recent Slum Village shake up.
Let’s cut right to the chase; are you in Slum Village now or not?
Elzhi: Am I in Slum Village or am I not? As far as what’s going on… As far as, like, me not having any say so to any treatments to videos being shot, or me not going to do the interviews to promote this new Slum Village album, or [Barack Records and T3] not contacting me or my management, and… as you can see in the “Reunion 2” video, I would say I wasn’t in the group. And at the same time, them taking me off records, so now I’m on a minimal amount a records for the [Villa Manifesto] album, I would say I wasn’t in the group.
So you recorded way more material than what the final track listing wound up being? How did things fall apart?
Basically, I got new management and what happened was it was a shock to the label, even Slum’s manager [Tim Maynor]. They just couldn’t take the fact that I had new management, and just from that as far as I could tell, they overreacted and it got to the point where we was all on a conference call and my new management asked to see the paper work and the contract from E1 and RJ Rice ain’t wanna show it. I’m thinkin’ like, “Why you ain’t wanna show it; that’s how we do business.” But we asked to see that paperwork; he didn’t show us, then he threatened to take me off the whole album at one point when I recorded 13 cuts for the album. So it went from them threatening to take me off the whole album to them keeping me on five-seven records and something musta got lost in translation with the label… It was just funny to know that they took me off the record [we did with Phonte of Little Brother], but they didn’t give me the say so on what records I wanted to be on. So they just did everything theyself.
For the full interview, check out XXL.Com.
Leave a Reply
- Prince Po And Oh No Join Forces For “Animal Serum” LP
- Mac Miller & Pharrell Reconnecting To Finish “Pink Slime” EP
- 2 Chainz and Pusha T Team For “2 Good To Be T.R.U.” Tour
- Fabolous Reveals “The Soul Tape 3″ Cover Art, Release Date
- Kanye’s Next Album May Be 8 Songs, Produced By Q-Tip & Rick Rubin
- Alchemist – “The Cutting Room Floor 3″ Tracklist Revealed
- Fat Trel – “Shhh (Remix)” (feat. Tracy T + Meek Mill + Rick Ross)
- Sean Price & M-Phazes – “Murdah Type Thinkin” (feat. Roc Marciano & DJ Devastate)
- Mic Terror – “15 Minutes”
- TeeFlii – “That’s How We Livin” (feat. Snoop Dogg & Warren G)
- Saigon – “Best Mistake” (feat. G Martin)
- Travis Barker & Scoop DeVille – “Cuz Im Famous” (feat. Paul Wall, Hopsin & Yelawolf)
- Talib Kweli - "The Wormhole" (Video)
Commented on by khordkutta
- Cory Mo – "Hold Up" (feat. Big K.R.I.T. & Talib Kweli) (Video)
Commented on by yungplex
- Strong Arm Steady & Oh No - "No Sky Limit (Smoke On Remix)" (feat. Dom Kennedy)
Commented on by dr dre beats 80 off
- Masta Ace Reveals He Has Been Living With Multiple Sclerosis For a Decade
Commented on by yungplex
- Alchemist - "The Cutting Room Floor 3" Tracklist Revealed
Commented on by Thoroughbread
- Jay Z - "Tom Ford (Remix)" (feat. Pimp C) + Jay Ranks His Albums
Commented on by Chad