26 October, 2010@5:50 am
Subliminal Projects is pleased to present Printed Matters, a solo exhibition featuring the work of renowned artist Shepard Fairey. Printed Matters, which focuses on the importance of printed material, will be on view September 16th through October 9th, 2010 and incorporates every variety of Shepard’s printed works, works on wood, metal, album covers, and fine art collage papers. As co-owner of Subliminal Projects, along with his wife Amanda Fairey, this is Shepard’s first experience exhibiting at the Echo Park location since the gallery moved in 2008.
Shepard states, “I’m a product of the era of mass production and the mass culture it has created. I can’t imagine my art practice without the influence of, and the use of, printing. Some of my biggest art influences were not paintings, but printed things like album covers, skateboard graphics, punk flyers, and t-shirt designs. When I discovered stencil making and screen-printing in high school, I used them to make t-shirts and stickers, but by college I began to use screen-printing to make art. I enjoyed illustration, photography, collage, and graphic design separately, but with screen-printing I could synthesize those techniques into an integrated final product. Screen-printing also provided latitude for experimentation and the ability to make multiples, and my style began to evolve as I explored the graphic nature of the medium. I tried to make images that would translate well to screen-print production. A harmony of beauty, power, and utility was my goal.
Some people say print is on its way out, that it will be wiped out by digital media, but I say you can never replace the provocative, tactile experience of an art print on the street or in a gallery. Printing still matters.”
- Here’s A Better Look At The “Shady XV” Cover Artwork
- Joe Budden – “Some Love Lost” Cover Artwork + Tracklist Revealed
- Rick Ross Reveals “Hood Billionaire” Official Album Cover Artwork
- Killer Mike & El-P’s “Meow The Jewels” Is Happening
- DJ Premier + Royce Da 5’9 – “PRhyme” Cover Artwork & Tracklist Revealed
- Bobby Shmurda – “Shmurda She Wrote EP” Cover Artwork & Tracklist Revealed
- Lupe Fiasco – “Lilies” (feat. Sirah)
- The Weeknd – “King Of The Fall (Remix)” (feat. Ty Dolla $ign & Belly)
- Joe Budden – “Ordinary Love Shit Pt. 4 (Keep Running)”
- C-Money – “Keep Up” (feat. Too $hort)
- Freddie Gibbs & Madlib – “Knicks Remix” (feat. Action Bronson, Joey Bada$$, Ransom)
- Papa Roach – “Warriors” (feat. Royce da 5’9)
- DJ Quik - "The Midnight Life" - @@@1/2 (Review)
Commented on by Thomas
- Cuepoint: The Triumphs And Tragedies Of Larry Smith
Commented on by yungplex
- Diamond D - "The Diam Piece" - @@@1/2 (Review)
Commented on by Model Citizen
- Joe Budden – "Ordinary Love Shit Pt. 4 (Keep Running)"
Commented on by Model Citizen
- ILOVEMAKONNEN - "Tuesday" (feat. Drake) (Video)
Commented on by Dnpmonk25
- Cuepoint: The Making Of Ice Cube's "Amerikkka's Most Wanted"
Commented on by Willo