Most people never come close to achieving their dreams. Fortunately, perpetually underrated Brooklyn MC Skyzoo isn’t one of those people. A model of consistency in a world of rappers with fleeting popularity, Skyzoo will release his sophomore LP entitled, ‘A Dream Deferred,’ on October 2nd. The album will be released on Skyzoo’s recently established label, ‘The Faculty,’ distributed through Duck Down Music Inc. The project contains guest features from Jill Scott, Talib Kweli, Raheem Devaughn and Freeway, among others.
A Dream Deferred picks up right where Skyzoo’s debut album, The Salvation, which peaked at #14 on the Billboard Top 200 chart, left off. He comments, “The theme behind The Salvation was temptation and making decisions. A Dream Deferred explains what happens when those decisions are finally made.” Skyzoo’s production has matured alongside him. A Dream Deferred has a bigger sound than its predecessor, containing lush, bright instruments, 808 drums, and subtle soul samples melding into cohesion. Notably, the album is slightly jazz-themed; paying homage to the genre in which Skyzoo indulges during his downtime. In fact, the title A Dream Deferred is an ode to a Langston Hughes poem of the same name.
The album was co-executive produced by longtime collaborator and beatmaker aficionado Illmind (50 Cent, Ludacris), who oversaw much of the live instrumentation, mixed the entire album and produced four tracks himself. Violinists, pianists, and horn players were recruited to provide organic elements that create a cinematic feel to the songs. To round out the production, Skyzoo enlisted hip-hop heavyweights, Jahlil Beats (Meek Mill, Lil Wayne), Black Milk (Jack White, Random Axe), 9th Wonder (Jay-Z, Destiny’s Child), Focus (Busta Rhymes, Marsha Ambrosius) and Dj Khalil (Dr. Dre, Drake) among others.
Videos will be filmed for the first three singles “Jansport Strings,” produced by 9th Wonder, “Give it Up,” produced by Illmind, and “Range Rover Rhythm”, produced by Jahlil Beats. In the past, Skyzoo’s videos have been in rotation on acclaimed media outlets MTV, VH1-Soul and BET. In total, his catalogue of videos has gained over 1 million views on YouTube. Also, he has received licensing placements in the hit TV-show Entourage, NBA 2K11, NBA 2K12, Grand Theft Auto 4: Lost and the Damned, and Kia’s NBA Shootaround.
For Skyzoo, it has always been about constant elevation. He states, “If you’re not better today than you were yesterday, you should’ve stopped yesterday. I’m a firm believer in that analogy.” Surely, the improvement is tangible. A Dream Deferred serves as a portrait of his growth as an artist up to this point and a passionate offering to his dedicated fans.
Leave a Reply
- Raekwon Sets A Release Date For “F.I.L.A.” Album
- BUSH: A Snoop Odyssey Produced By Pharrell Williams [Preview]
- Drake – “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late” Surprise Album on iTunes Now
- Action Bronson “Mr. Wonderful” Cover Art and Tracklist
- Juicy J “Blue Dream & Lean 2″ Mixtape Cover Art & Release Date Revealed
- MF Grimm “MF Love Songs” Cover Art + Tracklist
- Lord Hakim – “Brass Knucklez” (feat. Vast Aire & Phizz Ed)
- IAMSU! – “Hella Good” (feat. Tyga)
- DJ Kay Slay – “I Declare War” (feat. Styles P, Sheek Louch, Vado, Raekwon, & Rell)
- Maverick Sabre – “We Don’t Wanna Be” (feat. Joey Bada$$)
- Cannibal Ox – “Blade: Art of Ox” (feat. Artifacts & U-God; prod. Black Milk)
- Asher Roth – “Blow Your Head” (prod. Nottz)