5 October, 2012@6:53 am
On October 30th, MHz Legacy will release their new, self-titled album via Man Bites Dog Records. The album will be the first cohesive offering from MHz Legacy in over a decade – but it’s not because the crew hasn’t been busy. Quite the contrary: RJD2 has become one of music’s most rangy and talented producers; Copywrite, who spent the aughts being courted by Roc-A-Fella Records, remains, along with Jakki Da Motamouth and Tage Future, among rap’s most talented lyricists; and Camu Tao, before his untimely passing in 2008 following a bout with lung cancer, was a flagship artist on the now-defunct Def Jux label, forming the duo Central Services with El-P, and serving, with his unique style and delivery, as an influence to many. Two of those people that call Camu influences are Danny Brown and Harry Fraud, both of whom appear on this latest single from MHz Legacy, “Spaceship”.
From its inception, “Spaceship,” premiered today by FADER, served as homage to Camu, who appears throughout MHz Legacy with a number of never-before-heard verses. The song’s catchy, topsy-turvy chorus (“You don’t know how to drive a spaceship/ You don’t know how to fly a car”) pulls from a Camu vocal, and his off-kilter delivery – he’s also responsible for the first verse on “Spaceship” – is just as powerful today as it was over 10 years ago. And most excitingly, Camu’s verse sounds right at home next to Danny Brown, who’s own pitchy, unorthodox delivery makes for the perfect Odd Couple pairing.
- Raekwon Sets A Release Date For “F.I.L.A.” Album
- BUSH: A Snoop Odyssey Produced By Pharrell Williams [Preview]
- Drake – “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late” Surprise Album on iTunes Now
- Action Bronson “Mr. Wonderful” Cover Art and Tracklist
- Juicy J “Blue Dream & Lean 2″ Mixtape Cover Art & Release Date Revealed
- MF Grimm “MF Love Songs” Cover Art + Tracklist
- Lord Hakim – “Brass Knucklez” (feat. Vast Aire & Phizz Ed)
- IAMSU! – “Hella Good” (feat. Tyga)
- DJ Kay Slay – “I Declare War” (feat. Styles P, Sheek Louch, Vado, Raekwon, & Rell)
- Maverick Sabre – “We Don’t Wanna Be” (feat. Joey Bada$$)
- Cannibal Ox – “Blade: Art of Ox” (feat. Artifacts & U-God; prod. Black Milk)
- Asher Roth – “Blow Your Head” (prod. Nottz)