Flying Lotus Presents: Layer 3 explores the technology and inspirations behind Flying Lotus’ highly praised new live show (see live quotes below). The six-minute short documentary—a Red Bull Music Academy Film—recently premiered on Wired and follows the Los Angeles based producer as he, along with visual artists Strangeloop and Timeboy, concocted the visuals for his live show entitled “Layer 3.” The show sees FlyLo aka Steven Ellison—a 2006 Red Bull Music Academy participant—making his music between transparent scrims set with interactive front and rear projectors.
The visual acid trip conjures the psychedelic Star Gate scenery of Kubrick’s seminal 2001: A Space Odyssey, mixing Hubble-like atmospheres with 3D pattern grids and light bursts appearing to sprout from Ellison’s body, rendering the live show a truly mind-blowing package.
Flying Lotus is on tour supporting his recent album Until The Quiet Comes, which was recently released on Warp Record. Look for Flying Lotus to next bring his live show to the UR1 Music Festival in Miami, FL (Dec 8-9) and the King Plow Arts Center in Atlanta, GA (Dec 12).
- Raekwon Sets A Release Date For “F.I.L.A.” Album
- BUSH: A Snoop Odyssey Produced By Pharrell Williams [Preview]
- Drake – “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late” Surprise Album on iTunes Now
- Action Bronson “Mr. Wonderful” Cover Art and Tracklist
- Juicy J “Blue Dream & Lean 2″ Mixtape Cover Art & Release Date Revealed
- MF Grimm “MF Love Songs” Cover Art + Tracklist
- Lord Hakim – “Brass Knucklez” (feat. Vast Aire & Phizz Ed)
- IAMSU! – “Hella Good” (feat. Tyga)
- DJ Kay Slay – “I Declare War” (feat. Styles P, Sheek Louch, Vado, Raekwon, & Rell)
- Maverick Sabre – “We Don’t Wanna Be” (feat. Joey Bada$$)
- Cannibal Ox – “Blade: Art of Ox” (feat. Artifacts & U-God; prod. Black Milk)
- Asher Roth – “Blow Your Head” (prod. Nottz)