10 April, 2013@7:05 am
Soho workers and passersby enjoyed a lunchtime improvised set atop a parking structure today from two collaborate artists in order to kick-off 34 nights of music in New York City for the Red Bull Music Academy. Set amongst a giant painted backdrop of himself on the corner of Prince and Lafayette, ?uestlove, of The Roots and Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, joined forces with longtime pal and fellow music maker, Rahzel to freestyle in front of a crowd of more than 300.
With ?uestlove on the drums and Rahzel on the mic, the duo performed a 20-minute impromptu and unrehearsed set above the heads of the lucky few who will happened to stroll by on this beautiful spring day. In the spirit of inspiration, collaboration and making new music, which is what Red Bull Music Academy is all about, both artists played off each other by creating beats, throwing lyrics – all in celebration of exciting things to come.
During the Red Bull Music Academy, New York City can look forward to genre-defying concerts, sub-rattling club nights, jaw-dropping installations, and inspiring talks from music legends from April 28 to May 31. As a long time supporter and former lecturer of the Academy ?uestlove will be participating in Red Bull Music Academy’s ‘A Night of Improvised Round Robin Duets’ at Brooklyn Masonic Temple on May 1.
“With the music landscape changing and evolving so rapidly these days, it’s no wonder that the Red Bull Music Academy chose a city that eats, lives and breaths music,” said the sought-after DJ, music journalist and accomplished producer. “Everyday New York musicians are collaborating with new writers, new artists – all walks of life.”
Tickets are still available for many of the 37 events with over 230 artists at 34 venues across New York including Culture Clash, where four leading NYC music crews in Reggae, electronic, hip hop and tropical bass face off on four stages at the venerable Roseland Ballroom and 12 Years of DFA Records at Brooklyn’s Grand Prospect Hall. To find out more information and ticket links, please visit www.redbullmusicacademy.com.
Leave a Reply
- Raekwon Sets A Release Date For “F.I.L.A.” Album
- BUSH: A Snoop Odyssey Produced By Pharrell Williams [Preview]
- Drake – “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late” Surprise Album on iTunes Now
- Action Bronson “Mr. Wonderful” Cover Art and Tracklist
- Juicy J “Blue Dream & Lean 2″ Mixtape Cover Art & Release Date Revealed
- MF Grimm “MF Love Songs” Cover Art + Tracklist
- Lord Hakim – “Brass Knucklez” (feat. Vast Aire & Phizz Ed)
- IAMSU! – “Hella Good” (feat. Tyga)
- DJ Kay Slay – “I Declare War” (feat. Styles P, Sheek Louch, Vado, Raekwon, & Rell)
- Maverick Sabre – “We Don’t Wanna Be” (feat. Joey Bada$$)
- Cannibal Ox – “Blade: Art of Ox” (feat. Artifacts & U-God; prod. Black Milk)
- Asher Roth – “Blow Your Head” (prod. Nottz)