Funk Volume emcee Dizzy Wright is gearing up to release a new mixtape, entitled The Golden Age. The project will be released on August 19th. Dizzy is also unveiling the mixtape’s glistening artwork, created by legendary designer and artist SKAM2?.
The mixtape comes as the lyricist has maintained a dizzying work ethic. In 2012, he headlined a 30-city tour across the United States, and then promptly jumped into his label Funk Volume’s 45-city international tour. He kicked off 2013 by being named to XXL’s 2013 Freshmen class, taking the fan-voted “People’s Champ” award. He will be performing at the Brooklyn Hip-Hop Festival later this month before heading down under to Australia, where he is co-headlining a 10-city tour with fellow Funk Volume artist Jarren Benton. Yet, even in the midst of this jet-setting and award-receiving, Dizzy has been cultivating this new project. He emphasizes that, above all, the mixtape is “full of substance,” and emphasized the importance of storytelling in its creation. “It was inspired, mainly, by the storytelling of the 90s,” he explained.
Dizzy turned to legendary visual artist SKAM2? to craft the mixtape’s cover art. SKAM2? created some of the most iconic visual representations in hip-hop history, including Eminem’s Slim Shady LP and A Tribe Called Quest’s Beats, Rhymes, and Life. The artist/designer chose to showcase Dizzy’s connection to a bygone era as a son-mother relationship, inexorably connected. He explains how the visual came together: “I came at it from the angle of the mother being the era herself, nurturing and shaping Dizzy with the music. If you notice, the umbilical cord is coming out of the headphones. We wanted to incorporate things that would visually represent that era so I chose cassettes, vinyl and a turntable arm. The buds of course were Dizzy’s idea. I wanted the type to be retro and clean and the writing on the cassette to have an organic and aged contrast.” It was obvious to SKAM2? to emphasize the golden sheen: “As soon as I heard the title, It just seemed like a given that everything should be gold. Sometimes obvious is good.”
- Raekwon Sets A Release Date For “F.I.L.A.” Album
- BUSH: A Snoop Odyssey Produced By Pharrell Williams [Preview]
- Drake – “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late” Surprise Album on iTunes Now
- Action Bronson “Mr. Wonderful” Cover Art and Tracklist
- Juicy J “Blue Dream & Lean 2″ Mixtape Cover Art & Release Date Revealed
- MF Grimm “MF Love Songs” Cover Art + Tracklist
- Lord Hakim – “Brass Knucklez” (feat. Vast Aire & Phizz Ed)
- IAMSU! – “Hella Good” (feat. Tyga)
- DJ Kay Slay – “I Declare War” (feat. Styles P, Sheek Louch, Vado, Raekwon, & Rell)
- Maverick Sabre – “We Don’t Wanna Be” (feat. Joey Bada$$)
- Cannibal Ox – “Blade: Art of Ox” (feat. Artifacts & U-God; prod. Black Milk)
- Asher Roth – “Blow Your Head” (prod. Nottz)