10 March, 2014@2:45 pm
Over the past two decades, the tiny alt hip-hop label Stones Throw Records has grown to establish itself as one of the most influential and talented record labels in the industry, boasting a roster that features Madlib, MF Doom, J Dilla, Dam-Funk, Aloe Blacc, and more.
Founded by Peanut Butter Wolf in 1996, the independent label has quietly provided opportunity for some of the most influential sounds in the music industry. The new documentary, Our Vinyl Weighs a Ton, investigates this phenomenon through footage and interviews with the likes of Kanye West, Common, MF Doom, Madlib, and, of course, Peanut Butter Wolf—and through this exploration, it examines the past 18 years of music and culture surrounding Stones Throw.
Here, Noisey provides an exclusive look at the first 5:45 minutes of the film, giving you a taste of what’s to come.
Leave a Reply
- Raekwon Sets A Release Date For “F.I.L.A.” Album
- BUSH: A Snoop Odyssey Produced By Pharrell Williams [Preview]
- Drake – “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late” Surprise Album on iTunes Now
- Action Bronson “Mr. Wonderful” Cover Art and Tracklist
- Juicy J “Blue Dream & Lean 2″ Mixtape Cover Art & Release Date Revealed
- MF Grimm “MF Love Songs” Cover Art + Tracklist
- Lord Hakim – “Brass Knucklez” (feat. Vast Aire & Phizz Ed)
- IAMSU! – “Hella Good” (feat. Tyga)
- DJ Kay Slay – “I Declare War” (feat. Styles P, Sheek Louch, Vado, Raekwon, & Rell)
- Maverick Sabre – “We Don’t Wanna Be” (feat. Joey Bada$$)
- Cannibal Ox – “Blade: Art of Ox” (feat. Artifacts & U-God; prod. Black Milk)
- Asher Roth – “Blow Your Head” (prod. Nottz)