Interview yours truly just did with Stereogrid, about HipHopSite.Com.
For this week’s Blogger Q+A we talk to DJ Pizzo of HipHopSite. We discuss the history of HipHopSite, what catches his ear as a blogger/DJ & the advantages of being a genre specific blog.
Stereogrid: Where, How & Why did you start HipHopSite?
DJ Pizzo: I started HipHopSite.Com in 1997 – it was one of the first, pioneering rap websites to deliver up-to-date news, reviews, and new music on a regular basis.
Stereogrid: What do you think uniquely defines HipHopSite?
DJ Pizzo: Pretty much our long history, as a site that had helped jumpstart the indie hip-hop movement of the late 90′s and early 00′s. We’ve been responsible for introducing countless artists to the internet audience, long before they we’re popular, such as Eminem, RJD2, Little Brother, DJ Danger Mouse, and tons more. We also still write album reviews regularly, and have an archive of about 3000 full-length reviews written over the last 15 years.
Stereogrid: Which albums/mixtapes have caught your attention in 2011?
DJ Pizzo: Mixtapes, definitely Kendrick Lamar’s “Section 80” and Big Krit’s “Return of 4Eva”. On the album tip, there have been a ton of great releases from everyone. On the indies, I’m loving Action Bronson and Statik Selektah’s “Well Done”, People Under The Stairs “Highlighter”, Evidence “Cats and Dogs”, Apathy “Honkey Kong”. Major label LP’s that have been good this year include Drake, DJ Shadow, Bed Meets Evil, and Raekwon.
Stereogrid: What are your methods for discovering new artists?
DJ Pizzo: As a DJ, I listen to everything. A lot of being a great DJ – and blogger – is introducing your audience to new music and new artists, so I give everything a fair shake. I like to always be ahead of the curve.
Stereogrid: Do you think theres any disadvantages for being a genre specific blog? Why/Why not?
DJ Pizzo: Yeah, there are. I feel hip-hop is pretty stale right now, so it’s nice to use the site to help introduce people to stuff that would otherwise fly under the radar. However, I listen to other forms of music as well. I’m heavily into House Music right now, and have considered starting a secondary blog for House… only time will tell.
Leave a Reply
- Raekwon Sets A Release Date For “F.I.L.A.” Album
- BUSH: A Snoop Odyssey Produced By Pharrell Williams [Preview]
- Drake – “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late” Surprise Album on iTunes Now
- Action Bronson “Mr. Wonderful” Cover Art and Tracklist
- Juicy J “Blue Dream & Lean 2″ Mixtape Cover Art & Release Date Revealed
- MF Grimm “MF Love Songs” Cover Art + Tracklist
- Lord Hakim – “Brass Knucklez” (feat. Vast Aire & Phizz Ed)
- IAMSU! – “Hella Good” (feat. Tyga)
- DJ Kay Slay – “I Declare War” (feat. Styles P, Sheek Louch, Vado, Raekwon, & Rell)
- Maverick Sabre – “We Don’t Wanna Be” (feat. Joey Bada$$)
- Cannibal Ox – “Blade: Art of Ox” (feat. Artifacts & U-God; prod. Black Milk)
- Asher Roth – “Blow Your Head” (prod. Nottz)