Right before Red Bull’s 2013 Street Kings competition, VIBE talked to the legendary DJ Mannie Fresh in the epicenter of New Orleans’ Tremé section. As a native, the producer grew up with Brass Band music in his DNA and still incorporates the sounds into his music.
“[Brass Band] been a part of my background and my high school put out a lot of the greats like Kermit Ruffins, and the Rebirth Brass Band. All of us went to school together and came up under the same umbrella and started out with Jazz music,” Mannie tells VIBE. “It’s a part of our DNA, so it’s just we’ve got people like Trombone Shorty who worked on some of the earlier Cash Money songs when he was just a kid,” he says in part one.
In part two, Mannie opened about all his upcoming endeavors. “I’m doing bass trap, I’m doing EDM songs,” Mannie told VIBE. “So you’ll see a lot of mixes from Mannie Fresh in the near future.” Fresh says he’s also open to release a new solo album in the near future.
Leave a Reply
- Raekwon Sets A Release Date For “F.I.L.A.” Album
- BUSH: A Snoop Odyssey Produced By Pharrell Williams [Preview]
- Drake – “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late” Surprise Album on iTunes Now
- Action Bronson “Mr. Wonderful” Cover Art and Tracklist
- Juicy J “Blue Dream & Lean 2″ Mixtape Cover Art & Release Date Revealed
- MF Grimm “MF Love Songs” Cover Art + Tracklist
- Lord Hakim – “Brass Knucklez” (feat. Vast Aire & Phizz Ed)
- IAMSU! – “Hella Good” (feat. Tyga)
- DJ Kay Slay – “I Declare War” (feat. Styles P, Sheek Louch, Vado, Raekwon, & Rell)
- Maverick Sabre – “We Don’t Wanna Be” (feat. Joey Bada$$)
- Cannibal Ox – “Blade: Art of Ox” (feat. Artifacts & U-God; prod. Black Milk)
- Asher Roth – “Blow Your Head” (prod. Nottz)